Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Exercise and healthy feet

Over the last few years, I have spent months training for Hustle up the Hancock, which is a stair climbing race up the John Hancock Building in Chicago. Participants climb 94 flights of stairs. Anyhow, I decided this would be a great topic for the blog this week because I talk to all of my patients about the importance of exercise and their feet. Obviously, I do not recommend that my patients climb 94 flights of stairs to keep their feet healthy, but I do recommend a regular exercise program. Each patient is different and has different needs. For example, biking and swimming are great exercises for many people with foot pain. However, obese patients, elderly patients, or people with certain injuries maynbe better off with chair exercises, stretches, or only upper body programs. Exercising keeps the body strong and healthy, and in the case of the feet, helps with circulation or blood flow to the feet. For some patients, it helps to control or reduce blood sugar and blood pressure. For others, it keeps arthritic joints mobile and comfortable. The important thing is to be active regularly and consistently for good health. In my case, I like to have a goal to work toward (like Hustle up the Hancock), so this is very motivating for me. Keep your feet healthy and get regular exercise! Dr. Bender, oakparkpodiatry.com Now open on Mondays only in Forest Park, and Monday through Friday in Oak Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment